• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sensitive nipples

Alex_Y

Greenlighter
I am bloke with a bit of a strange and embarrassing girly problem.:eek:

I am obese (300lbs), diabetic (type 2) and require medication to control hypertension.

I hope someone out there may be able to offer some insight. I have always had sensitive nipples but in the last few days sensitivity in my left nipple has gone crazy. I can barely stand to have anything touch the nipple - even wearning a shirt is uncomfortable. The sensaton is pretty much constant and it is affecting sleep (having to take lots of Nytol). The feeling comes from stimulation of the nipple itself and also at other times from the below the nipple without any stimulation of the nipple. The sensation is mostly a kind of tickle . Also along the left arm, chest and abdomen I have what feel like small muscle spasms - although I'm not sure if these aren't just a reaction to the feeling from the nipple and a reaction to try and suppress the sensation.

Haven't quite plucked up the courage to see my doctor yet but I'm trying to look at this from all angles. I wonder considering my weight and diabetes whether this might be a hormone problem?

Any advice or comment would be welcome

sounds like a hormonal imbalance. High estrogen as a result of your elevated bodyfat. You need to get to your doctor and get a referral to an endocrinologist. Ideally if it is high estrogen he can write you a script for an aromatase inhibitor (inhibits the enzyme that converts testosterone into estrogen which is not coincidentally found in bodyfat).

The muscle spasms could be anything from an electrolyte imbalance to warning signs for a cardiac arrest (which you must be well aware you are quite disposed to given your obesity).

These are likely two unrelated medical conditions if I had to say.

GO TO YOUR DOCTOR.

Thanks for the advice. Will make an appointment first thing tomorrow.

Well I went to see my Doc and he examined me for all of 30 seconds. He was most worried about the prospect of shingles - which thankfully it wasn't.

He seems to think this is just an allergic reaction to something in the home - which I'm reasonably convinced it isn't. He didn't think the spasms were anything more that me reacting to the pulsing sensation.

I asked him if he would at least investigate the possibility of hormonal imbalance like high estrogen levels given my risk factors. He said no need because he thought my chest was just fat and not breast tissue. I asked about what I had researched that my kind of sensitivity is often an early indicator of a Gynomastia and that there was a small window of opportunity where medication would be effective. He told me he was reasonably convinced this wasn't the case with me, but did at least agree that he would review things if they persisted in a few weeks. He also said that weight loss would help all my problems in the long run - which I entirely accept.

I've decided that I'm going to review in one week and go back and demand he takes me more seriously. The only other hope is that I have an appointment with an Endocrinologist in March to review my diabetes (I've tried bringing this forward but no dice - I'm in the UK and reliant on the National Health Service so I've no other options). In the meantime apart from my new diet and exercise regime does anyone know of anything I can do to lower Estrogen (assuming that is the problem)?

Last edited:
You are right to check this NOW. You are correct that there is a small window of time that drug therapy is effective. After development of the mammary glands then drug therapy will only stop further enlargement. The only option for removal then is surgical.

good luck and good on you for being adamant about hormone test. This should be very easy for him to draw blood and send off. Please report back with your test if you'd like my further advice.

Many thanks for you support - I was beginning to thing that maybe I was been overly anxious. I will definitely pursue it. Will update this thread when I have news.

My advice to you is to go on a calorie restriction diet now to put your weight down. If you weigh 300 lbs you are far too greedy. Go and find a good diet drug and stick to the regimen.

Hi! Thanks for all the comments! I've definitely been greedy (I'm not proud) and well over weight but I'm working on that!

My Doctor finally took me a little more seriously with regard to this problem so he ordered some blood tests - TFT, FSH/LH, Prolactin, Oestrogen/Testerone levels. Waiting to get the results this week will post back with an update.

Could you try some sort of numbing or anesthetic creme to dull the nerve endings in that area?

This is a great suggestion, I highly recommend you check out some over the counter benzocaine... to minimize your immediate discomfort, of course, not as a long-term solution.

Hi, just wanted to update this thread. I had the results of my blood test and it turns out that both my Testosterone (42) and Estrogen (220) levels are above the normal levels.

My doc thinks its a combination of excess fat messing up my metabolism and also my diabetes - I've recently started a new diabetes medications and it has reduced my sugars significantly and rapidly. He has referred me on to an Endocrinologist so I'll update the post as and when I have more to share. In the mean time the sensitivity has reduced big time so I'm not uncomfortable anymore.

Last edited: